Medicated Money

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Bill Payer: Where Have You Been My Entire Life!

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios. -From Family Guy

Last night, I sat down and began the biweekly process of paying our bills. We, like our parents and probably, our grandparents, took out the checkbook, wrote the check for the bill, marked it in the ledger, placed the check and payment stub in the envelope, and placed a $0.39 cent on it! This morning, as I was dropping the mail off at the post-office, I noticed that I forgot to place a stamp on one of the envelopes. Being that it was 6am, I couldn't run into the post office and buy a stamp, and I ended up heading off to work in frustration that I overlooked this one envelope!

At work, I asked a fellow co-worker if she had a stamp I could buy from her. She did, but asked me what I was mailing. 'More bills,' I replied. 'What, you don't use bill payer from your bank!' She then told me about bill payer and many advantages of it, with the best part is that it is free at most banks. Now, I know what you are thinking; how can this guy be such a dumbass not knowing about bill payer! To be honest, I knew about it; I just thought that you had to give your account details to the payees/merchants. That just did not sit well with me. Little did I realize that is just not the case. In essence, you are just writing a virtual check through your bank to the payees. No different account information giving than writing a check and mailing it to them!

I immeditely went online to our banking instution and begin the process of setting up the bill payer! I hope that this makes life a little easier, and should probably save me about an hour/month on time I spend paying the bills!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home