Medicated Money

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Workin' For A Livin'!

“Somedays won't end ever and somedays pass on by, I'll be working here forever, at least until I die. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. I'm supposed to get a raise week, you know damn well, I won't.” –Huey Lewis & The News

Well, it was our goal to try and write a post-a-day. The problem with this goal, just not enough time in the day. This past week was one of those weeks where every time you look at the clock at work, it was past 5 and you realize you have another 3-4 hrs left to go.

With this being said, it brought up an interesting question between Mrs. Medicated and I as we ate dinner last night at 8pm. When you are work in a salary position, and you put in more time than expected, does that bother you?

I calculated that this past week I worked roughly 70 hours. However, my pay is based off a 40hr/week. So that additional 30hrs I am working for the hospital, is never financial accounted for. Granted, I knew going into this career that I would be doing this, and I think this is why it does not bother me! Yet, I have colleagues that will complain until the cows come home how much time they are working and how they should be compensated for it. With my position, I do not have a boss that is breathing down my neck. I do not have to sit at a desk and do paperwork for hours on end. My job consists of me seeing and talking to people that are in need of answers. Many of our patients are scared, unsure, and looking to me for the answers. Granted, there are difficult days when I cannot provide the answers to there questions or give them assurance that everything will be okay. But at the end of day, I walk out knowing that I made a difference in their lives, and no financial value can be placed on that. So, working 70hrs/week does not really bother me. But I am different; I don’t think I could say the same if I was an accountant or electrician. So, where do you fall in this discussion?

5 Comments:

  • I hear that. As a software engineer, I could work 55-60 hours at a start-up or I could work 35-40 for a larger company.

    For my next position, I'm looking for a better work life balance. Life's too short to be working it all away.

    By Blogger Lazy Man and Money, at 12:25 AM, August 13, 2006  

  • There's usually no defined workweek for salaried/management positions.

    By Blogger mOOm, at 10:24 AM, August 13, 2006  

  • As a CPA (accountant) I have a tendency and need to work a lot of hours. Generally, the expectation is that I work 2500-2600 hours a year. If I take my 3 weeks vacation, this works out to an average of 51-53 hours a week. Unfortunately, it is not spread out evenly. There will be a lot of 70 hour weeks back to back.

    As a manager, I don't receive extra compensation, but the growth prospects (promotion, raises) are largely based on me working these hours.

    By Blogger Daniel, at 12:53 PM, August 13, 2006  

  • Oops, so to answer the question, it bothers me sometimes, but the earnings potential makes me stick with it.

    By Blogger Daniel, at 12:55 PM, August 13, 2006  

  • Thanks for the comments!

    From everyone's opinion, I would argue that if you are doing something you truly enjoy, then long hours would become secondary.

    I guess a more interesting question would be: 'Would you change jobs while working in the same field if it meant being paid more now for those additional hours worked then having the potential for growth prospects as Daniel has stated?"

    -Medicated

    By Blogger Medicated Money, at 1:15 PM, August 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home